Learning Center Information
Our mission is to target for the apprenticeship program young people, foster youth, divorced and single-mothers and father in the community so that become self reliant, strong contributors to the community. After acquiring and applying their skills in barbering and cosmetology they are no longer dependent on “the system,” as the program assists individuals in transitioning from Welfare to Work. Our apprenticeship program began in 1998 and it grew from four to approximately 300 students in a two year period. In 2000, we were introduced to the Sacramento Employment and Training Agency (SETA) and was listed on the Work Force Investment Act statewide list.
Training takes place on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and some night sessions.
This program is approved by The Department of Industrial Relations, Division of Apprenticeship Standards (www.dir.ca.gov) and by The Department of Consumer Affairs, Division of Barbering and Cosmetology (www.barbercosmo.ca.gov), Approved Apprentice Program Sponsors.
1st Phase: PREREQUISITES / PRE-APPRENTICE TRAINING:
Each student will complete the 39-Hour Pre-Apprentice training prior to becoming an Apprentice and prior to applying for a License by complying with the following:
- Complete a 5 Chapter Entrance Quiz
- Attend 6 hour classes
- Complete the Safety, Sanitation, Rules, and Regulations assignments with a 70% (C) or better
2nd Phase: APPRENTICE STUDENT REQUIREMENTS:
- Submit your application packet for processing once you’ve selected a salon.
- Attend your class one day a week for 6 hours a day at your designated training location for 2 years, 288 hours each year are needed.
- Have Satisfactory Academic Progress by passing all subjects with 70%, (C) or better grade. Students who cannot maintain SAP will not be able to complete the program until their grades improve (Consult with your instructor for make up test to improve grades.)
- Complete 32 - 42.5 hours per week in a Salon or Barbershop with your Trainer present. Submit your signed On-The-Job Training records to the school monthly (3,200 Salon Training Hours is needed to complete the program within 21-24 months.)
SALON OR BARBERSHOP REQUIREMENTS:
- The salon must have a valid Establishment License and No current fines for Trainer or Salon
- Submit to CBCALCI a copy of their Workers Compensation Insurance Certificate
- Pay each student at least minimum wage per hour ($8.00 per hr.)
- Submit a Pay Stub after the 2nd week of employment
NO BOOTH RENTING FOR APPRENTICE STUDENT’S
DRESS CODE, BOOKS, AND KIT
Students must wear a White Smock and keep a clean professional appearance at all times. Students must purchase a Set of Books and a Kit for Class.
- Students must be at least 16 years of age.
- To qualify for the State Board Exam, you must have completed at least 10th grade or its equivalency, and possess a Social Security Number.
- A copy of a valid driver’s license or state ID and a copy of your Social Security card are required.
- Pay for the 39-Hour Training Certificate.